Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser


Cetaphil is a brand I have seen around for as long as I can remember (their website says they have been in Australia for 30 years) but have never been tempted to try. For the longest time I thought of Cetaphil as products suitable for people with problematic skin like eczema for example and as I was lucky enough not to have issues like that I just used "normal" cleansers.

However a couple of months ago I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of the Oily Skin Cleanser from PR which I promptly farmed off to Noodle Arms (as I have no business using oily skin products) and decided to finally try their dry skin friendly version instead. I've now had a chance to use this for about a month and thought I'd share my thoughts -

Packaging: well there is nothing sexy here now is there lol? But it's functional and I am able to easily control the amount I get out so it really doesn't bother me. On the plus side they do offer pump bottle packaging too (as you can see from the image I sourced from Cetaphil's website above) - just not in the 250ml size I got.

Smell: I can smell a slight something - but is that the absence of smell (you know like you can hear the silence)? Either way, it is a hands down winner for me here. Ok I just rubbed some of my hand and there is a definite mild fragrance - but I would be seriously surprised if that bothered anyone and I have to sniff pretty hard to smell anything at all ie unless it's under your noise, you will never know.

Texture: It's almost like the cross between a gel and a liquid. It spreads really easily and one of the things I LOVE about this cleanser is that it can be used wet or dry. I have used it wet because I like to wipe my face with a face washer day and night as I don't use any cleansing tools at the moment. This is not a creamy product in any way but there is also no dry face afterwards. It just makes my face feel clean.

It does not remove my eye makeup completely but at the same time I am happy to use this around my eyes as it does not cause any irritation. I just do a second wipe with a gentle eye makeup remover and it removes whatever is left without any need to rub or wipe multiple times.


Performance against its claims:
They say:
  • removes light makeup
  • non-comedogenic (won't block pores)
  • wont sting eyes
  • for face and body.
I say:
  • it certainly does in my experience
  • I've had no issues with breakouts
  • definitely eye friendly
  • have only used on my face so can't say either way but would seem to be suitable.

Value for money: The 250ml cleanser retails for between $10-12 AUD and this thing will last me me for ages. If you just care about getting your cleansing done, you don't want your skin or eyes to be irritated and you aren't looking for a creamy style cleanser I think this is pretty unbeatable. After having tried a tonne of cleansers this year (a random journey that has been) I would say this one is my pick for summer as it is not creamy and is on par with the Aveeno Ultra-Calming foaming cleanser I reviewed before (although I will say I never used the foaming cleanser to remove my makeup).

As a side note I am thinking of doing a roundup post of the cleansers I have reviewed this year and what I think might suit who best - would that be of any interest or help? Let me know your thoughts below.

Have a great week

Jac x

Disclaimer: As stated above I purchased this cleanser with my own money.

3 comments:

  1. I really want to try this!! :) I need a good cleanser that also removes my makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to use it when i had lots acnes on my face but it felt too gentle for my oily skin and didn't feel thoroughly cleansed. now my dry skin loves it. i never tried using it to remove makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a round up of the cleansers you've used/loved/hated over the year :)

    ReplyDelete